4. 最後，我們想告訴那些針對朱先生及其家人的那些主謀及/或作惡者： 香港人絕對不會容忍或姑息你們的犯罪行爲。你們正與香港人爲敵。
1. On Thursday, Legislative Councillor-elect Mr Eddie Chu Hoi Dick revealed that he has, in the days since he was elected by the people of New Territories West to the Legislative Council, received specific threats on his and his family’s lives. This follows previous threats against his and his family’s safety in the past over his community and political work in the New Territories. He has reported the matter to the police and is under police protection.
2. The Progressive Lawyers Group is alarmed by such threats against Mr Chu:
– Any threats against the safety or even life of any person would, if proven, clearly constitute serious criminal offences. It is imperative that anyone committing such heinous crimes must be brought to justice.
– In addition, the right to free speech and to stand for election are fundamental freedoms enshrined by the Basic Law and the Hong Kong Bill of Rights Ordinance. Such rights are inevitably and fundamentally undermined when citizens are in fear of their safety in exercising such rights. This risks rendering nugatory the availability of such rights. To the extent that the threats against Mr Chu and his family are connected to his speaking out on issues of community interest and/or performing his role as an elected political figure, this constitutes a brazen affront to the rule of law.
– This affront is further magnified where Mr Chu has just been given a popular mandate (and resoundingly so as the individual with the highest number of votes of any Geographical Constituency candidate) to be a representative of the people of New Territories West. Any threat on a popularly elected politician is a threat to democracy itself (however limited it may be in Hong Kong).
3. The Progressive Lawyers Group therefore demands that law enforcement agencies:
– take all necessary action to guarantee the safety of Mr Chu and his family; and
– even more importantly, enable Mr Chu and his family to return to normal life without fear as soon as possible by swiftly bringing all those who are behind such threats to justice.
4. Finally, to those who masterminded and/or perpetrated these acts of outrage against Mr Chu and his family, we have this to say to you. The people of Hong Kong will never tolerate or condone your criminal behaviour. You are the enemy of the people of Hong Kong.
Progressive Lawyers Group
10 September 2016
Article originally appeared in Stand News on 10 September 2016