Four anti-parallel protesters found guilty of police assault and obstruction – including a woman was said to have attacked a police officer with her breasts – appeared before the High Court on Wednesday morning to appeal the conviction and sentence. One of the defendants has asked to submit a new video clip to the court.
Thirty-year-old Ng Lai-ying and her three co-accused, nicknamed the “Yuen Long Four,” were arrested after taking part in an anti-parallel trading protest in Yuen Long at the beginning of March last year.
Ng and a 14-year-old boy were convicted of assaulting Chief Inspector Chan Ka-po, while Kwong Chun-lung, 20, and Poon Tsz-hang, 22 were found guilty of obstruction. Ng was sentenced to three months and 15 days’ imprisonment. All of them are lodging an appeal.
At the High Court on Wednesday morning, the youngest defendant, now 15-years-old, made a request to submit new footage to the court.
Barrister Randy Shek, representing the defendant, said that the new video clip clearly shows what happened on the day of the incident, and that it differed from how it was described in two officers’ testimonies.
When asked why the video was not submitted to the court last year, Shek said that following the ruling, many members of the public helped look for the clip, and the one which they wish to submit was found by the first defendant’s father, Sing Tao Daily reported.
The Honourable Justice Madam Barnes said that the case had caused public uproar, with many pointing out that Ng had initially accused the officer of indecent assault and saying that it was not possible to assault a police officer using breasts. However, the judge said that if the attack was hostile, it was not impossible under the law.
Barrister Lawrence Lau Wai-chung, who represents Ng and Kwong, agreed that it was not impossible for breasts to be a weapon, but Ng said that witnesses exaggerating their testimonies was a more deadly weapon and questioned why the first instance judge did not deal with the inconsistencies in the two officers’ statements, Ming Pao reported.
Judge Barnes said that she will take a look at the new clip before determining whether it can be submitted to court.
The defendants have been released on bail pending appeal.
Article originally appeared in Hong Kong Free Press on 13 July 2016