1. The Law Society of Hong Kong’s Annual General Meeting will take place on 26 May 2016. Six vacancies on the Law Society Council (the Council consists of twenty members in total) are up for election this year, with nine solicitors having presented themselves as candidates for fill these vacancies. In other words, there will be a contested election for Law Society Council positions this year.
2. In this regard, the Progressive Lawyers Group does not wish to involve itself in ways that may be misunderstood as attempts to politicise the process. We will therefore not be endorsing any of the candidates.
3. However, we would like to urge all members of the Law Society to find out as much as possible about the candidates and cast votes in this year’s Council elections. The Law Society is important not only because it is set up to act in the interests of the solicitors’ branch of the legal profession. Its formal positions on issues of public importance do generate attention in the public realm and may be considered by some members of the public as being representative of solicitors as a whole. Every vote from Law Society members for Council candidates is important in shaping how solicitors’ profession advances its interests, as well as the esteem in which solicitors are held by the public.
4. Our message to Law Society members is, therefore, simple: whether you vote in person at the Annual General Meeting, by post or by proxy, make sure you cast your votes for Council candidates who best represent your views!
Progressive Lawyers Group
13 May 2016
1. 香港律師會的周年大會將會於2016年5月26日舉行。 律師會理事會今年有六個空缺（理事會一共有二十個會員）作選舉，而九位事務律師將出任候選人填補這些空缺。換句話說，今年是一個將會有人競逐的律師會理事會選舉。
4. 我們給所有律師會會員的訊息很簡單 ：無論你選擇於周年大會親身投票、或是以郵寄方式投票、或是以授權票方式投票，請記得投票選出最能代表你意見的理事會候選人！
Article was originally published in Stand News on 13 May 2016